FUNCTIONS/TORS OF STRATEGIC POLICY PLANNING CELL (SPPC)
SPPC shall have following terms of reference:-
- To operate as an intellectual hub for evidence-based policy inputs on issues relevant to the National Security Committee (NSC).
- To assess comprehensive security situation in its various dimensions including traditional, economic and human security etc.
- Provide input / advice on strategic response to Pakistan’s internal and external challenges.
- Proactively produce scenarios, forecasts and multiple alternative policy options on issues specific to national security.
- Proactively conduct original research and prospective analysis on issues of immediate and long term importance to Pakistan that may not be receiving the requisite attention within the system.
- SPPC shall work in close liaison with Ministry of Foreign Affairs and National Security Division and all other relevant Ministries / Agencies/ Departments working on issues of national security and foreign policy. SPPC shall have access to analysis prepared by relevant agencies on the issues under discussion at the NSC.
- Absorb inputs from all relevant Ministries/agencies, further analyse and distil them and present holistic view on the issues under consideration by the Prime Minister/ NSC.
- The mainstay of SPPC will be a Council of experts consisting of think tanks, universities and independent Pakistani experts. This Council of experts will support SPPC’s analysis through intellectual input and undertake original research for the Cell where possible.
- SPPC will present its inputs at the NSC meeting when required. SPPC will also continue channelling /reporting its work directly to the Prime Minister, members of the NSC, regardless of the frequency of the NSC meetings.
- SPPC will engage with and present Pakistan’s perspective at intellectual policy forums held internationally under the auspices of various independent organization/INGOs.
- SPPC will act as an official channel to receive scholarly input from independent stakeholders, analysts, think tanks working on various aspects of security by regularly convening policy discussions and dialogues.
- SPPC will act as an independent body and will not fall under the hierarchy of the National Security Division. National Security Division will support SPPC in terms of financial and administrative management.
TO BE PUBLISHED IN THE NEXT ISSUE
OF THE GAZETTE OF PAKISTAN PART-I